This week’s Special of the Week is Berry Mixed Greens Salad with Poppy Seed Balsamic Vinaigrette, that is a mouth full. But so this salad. I initially saw it on Tasty and decided to give it my spin. Even though the berry season doesn’t peak until summer, I could not wait to make this salad. Don’t worry; I will be making this salad again come this summer! I would only make this salad with fresh fruit, but unsweetened frozen strawberries are suitable for the dressing.
Serve this salad as one large salad, four small ones, or six side salads. It also works great for people who meal prep.
Use any salad greens of your choice; however, I would avoid romaine or iceberg lettuce. I used spring mix and baby spinach. If this does not meet your protein needs, add grilled chicken or roasted pork tenderloin on the side directly to the salad. The fruit and balsamic vinegar in this recipe plays quite well with pork. The cheese can be easily swapped out for feta or omitted if you like. I prefer almonds, but walnuts and pecans work just as well. It doesn’t matter if they are raw or roasted. The original recipe called for candied walnuts; however, candied pecans and almonds work as well. I have to avoid sugar as much as possible. I was pushing it with this recipe because of all the fruit. Consequently, I ended using a sugar-free “honey” in the dressing and slightly fewer berries in the salad.
This salad kept for three days stored in a plastic container in the refrigerator. It was still crisp and delicious. The apples were starting to turn; if that bothers you, feel free to buy pre-sliced package apples. Add the apple sliced right before serving.
I hope you enjoy this Berry Mixed Greens Salad with Poppy Seed Balsamic Vinaigrette recipe!
For the Salad
- 6 oz salad greens
- 1 cup strawberries fresh, sliced
- ½ cup blueberries fresh
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 sweet apple cored, halved, and thinly sliced
- 4 oz parmesan cheese sliced with a vegetable peeler
- 1 cup sliced almonds
For the Dressing
- 1 cup strawberries hulled
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ tsp salt kosher or sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper finely ground
- 1½ tsp poppy seeds
- Combined hulled strawberries, balsamic vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, dijon mustard, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper into a blender. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate.
- Using a vegetable peeler along the long side of the parmesan cheese, make strips. Break up into smaller pieces if desired
- In a large bowl or 4 large salad bowls/plates, add salad greens.
- 3. Top with onions, blueberries, strawberries, red onion, apple, cheese, and almonds